Friday, November 20, 2009

Day two.

Today, I am thankful for something. I'm sure of it. Do you ever have days that are so full of stuff you have to do, that it is hard for you to clear your mind to remember the important things? I am having one of those days. Or weeks. Or maybe years. It could be my whole life, but I am too mentally fatigued to remember. This might take some time........

I suppose the first item on my list today would have to be airplanes. Every time I see a plane overhead, I wonder what it a pioneer would do if they were suddenly transported in time, and saw how we traveled. Would they feel that they suffered coming over the plains for nothing? Really, they could have endured a while longer, and then chartered a plane to get everyone to where they needed to be. Of course, in this day and age, they would have had terrorists attacking the Mormons. That puts a whole new spin on things. On that same line, what about Christopher Columbus, or the pilgrims? Obviously, everything was meant to happen the way that it did. We learn so much from them, and I am forever grateful for the sacrifices they made. I can't imagine the difference it made in their own lives. I just have to wonder if it would have done serious mental damage to them to see that we can cross the country in a few hours, not to mention the other side of the world. Can you just see their brains exploding with the concept?

Really, the reason this comes up today is that, as I write, Doug is flying home to us from China. I always feel like the flight from China is so far. He left a few hours ago, and we will arrive to pick him up from the airport tomorrow at 1:00 in the afternoon. I always feel bad that he is in the air for so long, and then I remember that he could have done it by boat. His one week trip would have been infinitely longer. See you in a year, sweetie.

I am also thankful for movies. I know, what a corny thing to be grateful for. (Yes, I used the word corny. Deal with it.) Truly, I am a movie buff. I wish I had known as a child that I would have such a love of the silver screen. I would have paid more attention to what I was watching. As it is, I have wonderful memories of the movies I saw as a wee one. The first memory I have of seeing a movie is when my Grandpa Williams took us to see "Bambi" in the Preston theater. We got a flat tire on the way home. I am sure that he was irritated by that, but it became memorable to me. I still love that movie, and the music is very dear to my heart. ♪ ♫ Drip, drip, drop, little April showers..... beating a tune as you fall all around. ♫ ♪

I loved it when movies came on and our family made an event out of it. We would pop popcorn and gather around the television and anxiously await the beginning of "The Sound Of Music", or "The Ten Commandments", or our all time favorite, "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". We would marvel at the amounts of chocolate and candy at the beginning, and the edible room was a dream come true. What kid didn't dream of their own personal chocolate river? Or wallpaper where the snozzberries taste like snozzberries? Who didn't have the secret wish that their sister would be chewing a piece of gum, and she would blow up like a blueberry, only to be taken to the hospital to have the juice squeezed out of her? Oh, you didn't wish for that? Sorry, my mistake.

Somehow, owning movies on DVD and watching them whenever you want is just not the same. Although, I have tried to continue the tradition with my daughter. We put on our pj's, and pick out a special movie. We cuddle together under blankets with our fuzzy Elmo socks sticking out the bottom of the blanket. That is a special time to us.

I have also been known to use movies to change my mood. When I am working on a wedding cake, I love to watch "Father Of The Bride" movies, or "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding". It just makes me happy, and the cakes are more fun. Lucky for the bride, they turn out better, too. Christmas just isn't Christmas without "A Christmas Story", or "Home Alone", or "The Santa Clause". (I happen to be a Christmas freak. Tell me you didn't see that coming.) On the flip side, beware when I am watching an action flick. I wouldn't sit too close to me, if I were you. I'm just sayin'.

Lastly, I love little girls. They are so gosh darn cute. I love how giggly they get, and how they get so excited over things. Oh, how I miss being able to get away with the shrieking and giggling of teenage life. Now, when I do that, people think I need medication. They could be right. I probably do, but my fatigued mind can't remember to go to the doc. Guess I am a terminal case.

No comments: