This year I have decided that I want to continue the week of Thanksgiving that I did last year. This year has given me so many opportunities to be grateful, and I want to take the time to voice my thanks.
I think I will start with the obvious, my wonderful husband. At the moment, he is in China attempting to achieve a few miracles. OK, maybe not miracles, but at least a few amazing feats of engineering brilliance. He left last week for South Korea to finalize a contract for an electrical device. (I would tell you what it is, but I would have to kill you after. As far as I know, this is an unmentionable.) He then headed to China for some other top secret items, that probably aren't so top secret anymore. I will someday take the time to explain these items, but today is not someday. It is today, and my subject is my hubby, not some piece of plastic and metal that will someday (hopefully) make us debt free. It's good to dream.
When he leaves on these trips, I worry so much about him. It unnerves me just a bit to send him to a communist country. If anything makes you appreciate your freedom, that'll do it. On one trip, Doug mentioned that a plane flew overhead, so he looked up. He was stunned to see a Russian MiG 29 flying low overhead. He turned to his translator, and commented on how excited he was to see that. His translator just shook his head and said, "No, no! We don't talk about that! We don't talk about military." They were surprised that he knew what it was. They had no idea. Now I will give a moment of pause for your memory to recall those scenes in "Top Gun". I know that you are now singing in your mind, "Highway to the Danger Zone". Admit it.
Which brings me to the next item. Freedom. I am so grateful for the freedom to get an education for whatever I may choose, for the freedom to log on to the internet and find whatever information I am interested in, and for the freedom to talk about our government and discuss the good with the bad. I am also thankful for those who defend that freedom. What an amazing military we have. There is just something about our men and women in uniform that gives me chills. I can't help but be impressed by them. It is so incredible that there are those who are willing to sacrifice their time with their families, and sometimes even their lives, so that we can enjoy the opportunity to live in a free country.
The next item on the list is a silly one, but in keeping with the theme of China, I am so grateful for soft, comfy beds. Seriously, don't you just love those mornings when you wake up, and your bed and pillow are so cuddly and pleasant, that you would just about give anything to stay there? Then the harsh reality of daily life kicks in, and you have to leave it all behind.
4 days ago






No comments:
Post a Comment