Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Happy Bug-a-versary!

Today marks 10 years that Miriam came to live with us. We met her for the first time on March 11th, 2000. It was so fun to be with her! We met her in a park with her case worker, Lori, and her foster mom, Karen. It was a long drive to Atascadero, California, but it was worth the drive!
This is one of my favorite pictures of Doug and Miriam. We were at Morro Bay, and they were walking on the beach together. I just couldn't resist taking about a thousand pictures of them together. It was so cute to see them hand in hand looking for sand dollars and really cool shells. Miriam had a really good eye for things once you showed her what you were looking for. She found a bunch of shells that I still have in a frame with this picture. I keep that picture in my kitchen so I can see it every day.
We built sandcastles all afternoon. Miriam has always loved to build things. It was a beautiful day, and when it was time to leave, we had to practically drag her away from the sand.
I just loved the outfit she was wearing. Karen put her in her NEW corduroy Winnie the Pooh overalls. I would just like to say that sand never, EVER comes out of corduroy. EVER. I must have washed that in the hotel room 50 times. Still, when we returned them to her foster mom, they were stiff and still leaving sand everywhere. Lesson learned, don't let that happen to you. I still feel a bit guilty.
We took her to a children's museum in San Louis Obispo the next day to meet with her case worker. She had tons of fun standing inside of a giant bubble, flying a plane with her new dad, and sliding down a dinosaur's back. We had a hard time getting her out of this train, too. She just loved having her picture taken, unless it was with me. She didn't like me very much. She just didn't want a new mom.
This was as close as she would let me get to her most of the weekend. Lucky for me, because that meant that Doug had to do all the diaper changing and clean up after eating.
We came back the next weekend to see her again, and she was able to stay overnight with us in our hotel room. We took a little couch that we bought for her that would unfold into a bed so we could actually get some sleep. We blew giant bubbles that weekend, and spent some time swimming with her.
That weekend, we went to Pismo Beach to meet with Lori. Miriam wanted to stay on the swings forever. It was impossible to get her off of the swings for many years after that.
This is a picture of Miriam that Karen took of her 10 years ago today. They were at the airport waiting for their flight to Utah. What an adventure for Miriam, not to mention Karen. Miriam never liked to sit still for more than 20 seconds at a time. What do you do with a little girl that likes to pose for pictures when you have hours to sit around? You take plenty of photos of the little poser.

This is the evening of March 31st, 2000. She was so excited to see her little couch again. She wore it to shreds. She was so excited to see us again, almost as much as we were excited to see her. I think she changed her mind a week later, when she realized that she was staying. Poor Miriam. It's rough to have us as parents.

These are just a few of Miriam's stuffed animals. We gave her the white rabbit the first day we met her. Pooh, Tigger, and Eeyore were waiting for her on her bed when she arrived. The little Pooh Bear was a gift from Sam and Stacie. That was a well used little bear. The little brown bear was one of her toys that she had when she was living with her birth mom, and it never had a name. Miriam never named anything, she thought it was silly. One of her most favorite toys was the "Happy Face". She had that for a couple of years until it popped. It was a toy she had with her birth mom, too. She just loved her happy face. We still have all these animals stored away for her own kids, someday. They might just find a spot or two of Vaseline on the rabbit or Tigger that we somehow missed cleaning off.
 
This is Uncle Ron with Miriam on her second day with us, April fool's day. She instantly fell in love with Uncle Ron. He supplied her first wheeler ride. Thus started the need for more and more rides, and more visits to "Untow Won's" house. She still loves him deeply, as well as wheeler rides. Totally addicted.

This is my sister, Darcy, that helped us find Miriam. I am so thankful for her and the friend she was to a single mom that happened to be blind, and couldn't take care of her daughter any more. Her example of friendship is a huge lesson to me. Miriam cares for her so much. They were the best of buds. Now that Darcy is gone, we miss her more and more every year. We have such a special place in our hearts for her. I owe her more than I could ever repay. She is a wonderful big sister and I miss her.
Miriam was playing with our camera today, and I had no idea until I picked up the camera to download some pictures from it. I am happy that she took a picture of herself today. Ten years later. My, how things have changed. She is so happy, and doing great in school. She is starting to enjoy laughter, and I love to hear her laughing at herself. What a blessing she is in our lives. We love you, Bug!

5 comments:

A Musing Mother said...

Happy Bug-Day!

The Bowes said...

what a swwet post!

Parkside View said...

I loved reading your thoughts today and looking at those darling pictures. How touching!

Misty said...

Awww.. look how little she was! I can't believe how fast she has grown up! Seems like just yesterday she was calling me "Aunt Poopie!" LOL!!

I love that photo of her and Darcy. It made me miss her even more.

Brianne said...

That was great to read. I learned a lot that I didn't know! Very cute pictures.