Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Women's Conference

Once again, it is that time of year. The time when thousands of women converge on one spot to celebrate their lives, and refill their spiritual buckets. Chick's conference, as Doug calls it. This year, we didn't stay in the dorms. Erin's parents are on a mission, so they agreed to let us use their house for a few days. We had more fun than should be allowed, even with all of the walking and hiking of the Marriott Center steps.



There are always so many lines to stand in. I don't think I've ever attended anything where you stand and wait so much. Want to attend a class? Stand in this line. You would like a mint brownie? Stand in that line over there. Need to find the ladie's room? Stand in the longest line EVER!




When we get home, the silliness begins. We are all tired, which doesn't help. It just means that we will laugh at anything, and everything. I really mean everything. We had such a fun time while we could keep our eyes open. I think Julie should go into modeling. Seriously, she has the model face down perfectly.



One of the most fun moments is when we get to let our hair down and act like Miamaids again. Julie and Erin are reliving those days with all the passion they can. I don't think you could do this at the concerts I used to attend, and still be taken seriously.


I am just happy to be somewhere without having to be a mom. I may only have one child, but it is tiring to be the only other one that she has to play with. Now I can act like a child because I choose to.



This concert was so fun. Alex Boye was wonderful. I just love to listen to him sing. We met him after the program, and he is the nicest person, extremely happy, and very thoughtful.



I loved to listen to this performer sing (unfortunately, I have forgotten his name), but I was struck by something else during his performance. Off to the right corner of the stage they had a couple of women that were signing for the def. I have always loved sign language, but I was completely fascinated by the woman doing this song. She obviously loved it, and was very familiar with signing it; she almost signed the words before they were sung. The emotion she put into it was so beautiful. It made me want to learn to sign again. Who knows? Maybe I will finally do it. I wish I had taken a picture of her.


Then we were blessed with a performance by Eclipse. They are always so fun. I would love to be able to do what they do. Unfortunately, I am just a wannabe. So many talents in the world, so little time to develop them.


We had a great opportunity to hear from Larry Gelwix, coach for Highland rugby. For those who don't know, he is the coach portrayed in the movie "Forever Strong". I thought it was so fun to have an opportunity to hear from someone that has made such a difference in so many lives. We had a chance to talk to him after, and I feel fortunate that there are people like him in the world. He and his wife were so wonderful to talk to.


Jenny Oaks Baker performed some really beautiful songs, most from her CD of movie songs. She played a beautiful rendition of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". You can't tell, but the lights above her are in rainbow colors; much more beautiful in person. I wonder if I can fit "beautiful" in here just one more time?


She also played "Far And Away". I have always loved that song, and the movie. This is after she played the last note of the song. I love this picture because it shows how much emotion she puts into her performance.

Then there is the loveable Hilary Weeks. She is also very happy and fun to talk to. Apparently, she and Julie are now BFF's. Seriously, Julie has proof, just take a look at the autograph she received. If you ever want a new CD, look her up. You won't be disappointed.


One of the most fun things to do are the service projects that are offered. It always makes me think about how much of a difference we can make in the world. It is amazing to see what is accomplished by all of these women in such a short time, the numbers are staggering. We found room to help out in the card making room. We actually made papers for names of babies in hospitals. Who knew scrapbooking skills would come in handy. We had a chance to meet some really wonderful ladies from, well, everywhere. So fun to hear their stories.

At the closing session, we decided to sit at the top. We wanted to have a bit more leg room, and it was fun to look down and see the estimated eighteen thousand women gather together after having such spiritual experiences. I think I started crying on Thursday morning, and haven't stopped since. (For good reasons, obviously.) During the final hymn, we sang "The Lord Is My Light", and on the third verse, all of these women (and a handful of men) spontaneously stood up to testify that the Lord truly is their light. I cried then, and I am struggling with tears even as I think of it now. What a powerful moment to see so many people want to stand and show their love for the Lord. All of these women that have the ability to carry that feeling to so many places in the world.

I arrived at the conference with an empty bucket. Now it is full to overflowing. Please be patient while I splash it all over everyone. I just want to spread it everywhere. I love Women's Conference. It is an opportunity to refocus your life, and to realize what is truly important. You leave there with a stronger belief in women and the difference we all make in the world. I always relish the opportunity this time gives me to feel closer to my Savior, and to remember that He loves me, and I have things to do that make a difference. In small and simple ways are great things brought to pass. Take time to splash on people yourself.

3 comments:

CB said...

Looks like you had another really fun year! I was sad to miss it this year but was compensated by a wonderful family wedding!
I love your husbands term for it so funny!!
I can't wait to read some of the talks online. Glad you had fun!
PS you look good in yellow:D

The Shep's Herd said...

AMEN!!!We had so much fun. My bucket is full too. Mostly beacuse fo the ladies I was with and just how awsome you all are. Thanks for being a kid with me again. Cant wait till we can do it again.
By the way I'not giving you the stink eye and your name is off Erin's list.....LOL LOve ya !!!

The Bowes said...

Sounded like a great conference. My husband's parents know Alex Boye and although I haven't met him myself, I hear that he is a wonderful person and WHAT A VOICE! I actually saw him in a production of "Big River" in Riverton when Josh and I were first dating.
I was on Facebook and saw something that you had done and reazlied that I hadn't read your blog in awhile. I wondered why and went into my favorites and somehow it was deleted. I didn't do it! It was weird, but you are back again in my blog list. YAY