Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Brownies, and fairies and imps! Oh, my!

Last Friday was a fun day for Miriam and her best friend, Becca. Brandon Mull, for those of you that don't have children of school age, wrote the "Fablehaven" series, and also "The Candy Shop Wars". Miriam loves his books almost as much as "Harry Potter". Almost.

He came to her school last year, and they didn't have time for signing books. This year she is in a different school, and sure enough, he showed up last Friday. He is so good at promoting literacy for children. At the back of every book there is a list of questions to answer about the book to get you thinking about what you read in the story. This time they had a chance to have one book signed by him, so Miriam took "The Candy Shop Wars". She was so excited.

She went straight to Becca's on the way home and spent the afternoon with Becca and her mom. They went shopping and bought matching hoodies. Yeah, that's just what they needed. One more thing in common. Soon, I think they need to separate for an afternoon, or they may actually merge into one bizarre being with two heads, lots of hair, and eight long, wiggly tentacles that used to be arms and legs.

That evening, they were going to go to another book signing at Deseret Book in Provo to have Miriam's "Fablehaven" book signed, but things didn't work out, so I recieved a phone call at about ten minutes to six. 'Mom, can you take us over to the book signing, Becca's mom can't. Pleeeeeeaaaase? Pretty Please?" "Ok. Run over and get in the car, I'll take you." So off we went.

There were quite a few kids there, and the two I brought had to be the loudest. They were running all over looking at books and movies and games, and racing each other back to the line while wearing their matching jackets as I held their place in line. After awhile, I got smart, and had them stand in line, while I went shopping. They were the ones that wanted to be there, after all.

When we got to the front of the line, they suddenly became very quiet and shy. Brandon (or should I say Mr. Mull?) was very good with them. He got them talking by saying, "You two must be sisters!" They both giggled and said, "No!" Long silence...... I had to jump in to explain that they were just best friends, and he actually looked surprised. He signed Miriam's book, signed a poster for each of them, and then they talked for a bit about their favorite parts of the stories. I asked if I could take a picture of the three of them, and he replied, "Absolutely!" What a nice guy. Miriam and Becca had the nerve to look horrified that I would even suggest such a thing, but I think they were happy about it after we left.


8 comments:

Tara said...

I love Fablehaven! His cousin, Tanu, is in our ward. As you know, Tanu was the name inspiration for one of the characters in Fablehaven. He is really a 12 year old boy!

Tammy said...

We love Fablehaven also! Branden Mull came to Heather's school also and she had her Fablehaven book signed. She was so excited to meet him! I'm sure Miriam will love that picture for a long time :)

Katie said...

I LOVE the Fablehaven series (can I say that even though I don't have children?)! I can't wait for the next one to come out... in March, is it?

Amber said...

I think so. I am looking forward to it, too!

CB said...

That is a great series. We have just gotten into it. How totally fun that Miriam and her BFF could meet the author and have him sign things. Just makes reading the books all the more fun!

Love the picture too - I bet that is going framed into her room!

Anonymous said...

I am going to come to your site several times a day just to hear your fun music, especially "The Way That I Am."

Small House said...

I know nothing about Fablehaven, but I'm going to find out soon! How lucky are you to have book signings at your Deseret Book. I'm a huge Deseret Book lover. I save all my reward points until I can get something for free. Gave $6.00 of them to my daughter this past weekend.
I love finding other LDS women blogging. I'm going to add you to my faves so I can get back often.
Have a great day!!!

CB said...

Amber you haven't had a new post so I will just post here again because I have been dying to tell you how beautiful that picture is at the top of your blog.

It is a real WOW!! Such a pretty scene and your daughter right in the middle. I love it!

:)